Monday 20 March 2017

Book Review: Small Great Things by Jodi Piccoult


I have never read any books by Jodi Piccoult before and in fact I have been guilty of a little prejudice against her, dismissing her as"trashy". Ironic therefore that this book which encouraged me to transcend that prejudice and pick up one of her books, is in fact all about prejudice! And I was definitely wrong about Piccoult- her writing is far from trashy and I am sure I will go on to read more of her work.

So what convinced me to try this particular book? I was hooked by the hype. I had even seen this book described as "To Kill a Mockingbird for the 21st Century". Now this is dangerous territory. "To Kill a Mockingbird" is my favourite book of all time and holds a very special place in the heart of many people. So any book making this kind of claim had better be good - very good. But it certainly works as a strap line to get people to pick up the book in the first place...

Ruth is a black midwife who has been working at the same hospital for twenty years. One day a white supremacist makes a request (granted by the hospital) that no black personnel are to care for his baby and Ruth is immediately removed from the baby's care. After a routine procedure the baby dies and Ruth is held responsible, suspended from her job and eventually tried for the baby's murder. We follow the events leading up to the baby's death, the preparation for the trial, the trial itself and the aftermath through the eyes of three different narrators : Ruth herself; the baby's father, Turk; and Ruth's lawyer, Kennedy. 

The plot is certainly compelling. I couldn't put it down and found myself reading long into the night. And the characters are on the whole, well drawn. Ruth in particular is a likeable character that the reader immediately sympathises with. We really want things to work out well for her. This novel is predominantly about prejudice and the experience of being black in America and Ruth does a good job in getting this message across to me as the reader and helping me to question my own beliefs and actions and examine my own white privilege. In this respect it reminded me very much of "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozie Adiche. And I was very glad that I had recently read "Homegoing" by Yaa Gyasi which helps to explain why race is such an issue in the USA and illustrates amazingly well how the effects of slavery reverberate down through the generations and are still raw and relevant today. 

Whilst I did enjoy the book and liked the fact that it was though provoking and made me examine my own conscience, I did feel that it had a couple of large flaws. The ending I felt was trite and contrived and far too much of a neat ending, with all strands tied up in a neat little bow and everyone ending up a better person. And I think this is why comparisons to "To Kill A Mockingbird " do not work - the outcomes of that book are not neat and positive and the child as narrator stops any events from seeming trite. In addition, the epilogue of "Small Great Things" seems almost rushed and the character development is non-existent so what happens to those characters is very difficult to believe. The ending of the book was a real let down for me.

However, that said, I would recommend it because it was fast paced, emotionally involving and thought provoking and an interesting dilemma to explore. It is a good book, but definitely not a great book and will not endure in the way of "To Kill a Mockingbird ".


No comments:

Post a Comment